Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Walnut MuffinsOctober 10, 2017
Photo by Salem Lassoued
Before summer heats the house and you no longer want to fire up the oven, bake a batch of these moist banana walnut muffins, made with almond meal, gluten-free flour, desiccated coconut and a hint of nutmeg (adapted from the Passion Organic Vegan Recipes to Live For cookbook by Anthea Amore). They taste great for brekky, or in the evening when you crave a sweet treat.
(Makes 16 small muffins or 12 large ones)
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal (or grind 1 cup of almonds into a fine meal)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 tbs baking powder, aluminium- and gluten-free
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 100ml macadamia or almond oil
- 150ml of 1/2 water and 1/2 soy milk
- 2-3 medium bananas, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
Mix dry ingredients together (except walnuts). Add the wet ingredients (except bananas), and gently beat until combined. Add the banana and walnuts and hand mix them thoroughly through the batter. Spoon mixture into muffin tray, filling them three-quarters of the way. Top with extra chopped nuts, seeds or shredded coconut if you wish.
Place in oven at 180ºC for 10-15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. (A drizzle of honey or agave over the muffins right before they come out of the oven is a nice touch). Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!